[PlanetCCRMA] data over local network

David Nielson naptastic at comcast.net
Mon May 10 08:36:05 PDT 2010

On 05/10/2010 09:00 AM, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> hi,
> thanks for the reply and appologies for being a bit slow. But how do I
> assign the ip addresses? We are connecting via a hub (not router) and the
> mac (and my laptop under windows) gets an ip address somehow from the hub
> with the first 2 numbers shared - i.e. mac had 169.256.x.y win had
> 169.256.z.q
> I think once I get to the successful ping stage we should be fine - we
> managed to get OSC messages across with udpsend/receive between max and
> pd.
>
> thanks
> Oded

The addresses which start with 169.256 are not real IP
addresses--Windows and OS X generate them internally and then flip an
internal switch that says "don't even try to connect to the outside
world." Getting OSC through under these circumstances is impressive; you
shouldn't have been able to.

You will need to either (a) assign static IP addresses, which you can do
using NetworkManager on Linux and I don't know how to do it on OS X, or
(b) have a third computer in your network that acts as a DHCP server and
assigns IP addresses in a sane way.

When you say "hub," do you mean "hub" or "switching hub" or "switch"?
(The last two are basically the same thing.)

If you're going to be sending data back and forth over a network, you
really will need to understand networking better. Don't take this as an
RTFM even though that's basically what I'm saying, but get on Wikipedia
at least and read these articles plus whatever else you need to read
until you understand more fully what's going on with your network:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Protocol_Suite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol