[PlanetCCRMA] data over local network

Oded Ben-Tal oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon May 10 03:04:37 PDT 2010

dear all,

I need a bit of help with networking - we need to send data from one
computer (Mac running max/msp) to my laptop (FC12 running pd). We are
linking both with ethernet cables to a hub without connecting to the
internet (hence it's difficult to trouble shoot while we do it...).
I tried it yesterday but fedora didn't recognise the network properly
and it seems I couldn't get the right ipaddress setup on my computer.
(I did change the firewall setting to accept the port, so that wasn't the
problem). The only ipaddress I could see from /sbin/ifconfig wasn't
correct (127.0.0.1) as it wasn't getting it through the hub.
Since I'm clueless about networking, and didn't even have google to
search, after a few trials I gave up and switched to run it on win for the
rehearsal. But I will need to figure how to get it working under fedora so
any suggestions would be very helpful.

thanks
Oded