[PlanetCCRMA] Pd + PulseAudio?

Wed Mar 24 13:27:17 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 11:49 -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Peter Kirn
> <peter at createdigitalmedia.net> wrote:
>         Looking at AlsaMixer as you suggest, I definitely see the HDA
>         Intel
>         card. Master and PCM have volume levels; Headphone and Speaker
>         show up
>         but do not have mixer values.
>         "control open "hw:intel" (No such device)
>         Cannot initialize driver"
>

> Hunches:
>

> Something is unexpectedly grabbing your hw:intel controls.

Nope. That was just a typo ("intel" instead of "Intel"), there's nothing
magical going on here.

> Consider that X/Gdm launch pulseaudio, so you can have those cute
> noises when you mistype your password; it will therefore grab the
> hw:intel controls. By totally removing pulseaudio, this can't happen,
> ever.

If you launch jack and use jack you won't have any problems either
(provided you use a jack that negotiates with pulseaudio). If you are
using jack aware programs I don't see any reason to not use jack. In
that case pulseaudio will relinquish and not use the soundcard that jack
is acquiring. Period.

If you deliberately want to send non-jack stuff to jack, that only can
be accessed through pulseaudio streams you can load the jack sink
pulseaudio plugin and direct your pulseaudio streams there. I almost did
that by default in my jackd wrapper script for fc11 but I ended up
deciding the user should control that explicitly (when that option was
enabled I was able to start Jack and existing pulse audio streams would
keep playing through jack after it finished starting up!).

-- Fernando