[PlanetCCRMA] about Fedora updates

sevol sevols.ear at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 06:12:26 PST 2010

On 3/9/10, David Cornette <david at davidcornette.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 11:43:57AM -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>> Even weirder. We could have frozen functionality for 6 months worst
>> case! Maybe in mature applications like apache that is reasonable, but
>> in what I consider to be the fast moving world of audio apps that would
>> be too long a wait - and the wait would be for a _full_ update of the os
>> just to get functionality updates for audio apps. Maybe that is part of
>> the purpose of a more stable Fedora? To force users to update to the
>> latest? I have to get some time to read the thread (I have not been
>> following up on the Fedora list, too busy...).
>>

> It sounds to me like the worst of both worlds.  An OS upgrade is an
> extremely disruptive thing.  So if this happens, we get very frequent OS
> upgrades, and in between that we don't get the latest versions of software.

I agree. I like the update policy as it is now. As was mentioned, I
don't have to update if I don't want to, but it's very nice having the
packages available if I do.

So, my vote is for retaining the present update policy. I don't really
have anything fresh to add to what's already been said by others.
Well, I will add my thanks to Orcan for keeping the updated packages
maintained.  Actually, many thianks!

                                                -s