[PlanetCCRMA] slime-sbcl dependency broken

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 11:20:20 PST 2010

I guess this is a safe place to admit I'm an old Lisper... I was
surprised/heartened to hear it mentioned, but I'm left wondering, what
exactly can be done with Lisp and Music? Are there any graphical tools or
advanced visualizations, or is it all just a bunch of clever dynamic
programming? Is it performant enough to run realtime, or is it endless
cycles of  edit-render-listen that can turn making music into a chore?

What's something "cool" and unique that could be done, or what are you all
using it for/with?

One thing that would be useful is to use lispy language features, like
continuations, to define "LFO" like property of sound manipulation. LFO's
could then take on properties of fractals and other complicated, stateful
computations, and not just waveforms.

The other thing that would be interesting is to explore the intersection
between fractal self-similarities and rhythm/melody. Is music, and that
which sounds musical "fractal" in nature, much like when we see something
and instantly identify "tree" or "mountain" or "coastline" because of their
fractal nature? Do we appreciate when music is more fractal, versus being a
kind of latticework, infinite pattern, or just a random potpourri of sounds
strung together for no purpose?

For example, I've noticed more people using the fractal-like sampling
feature of overlaying a 1/2 speed and full speed and then mixing in double
speed of the same cyclic source material. There's something about this that
has interesting properties. (a lil live, noise&disaster filled experiment w/
this from a few years ago:
http://nielsmayer.com/DJColtraneRexx_Frithyloop.mp3 ... to be edited down
into sampler-fodder).

Niels