[PlanetCCRMA] [PlanetCCRMANews] nvidia driver needs kernel-source

Peter Kirn peter at createdigitalmedia.net
Mon Mar 8 06:10:32 PST 2010

Nope, I think this is still incorrect.

You shouldn't be creating an xorg.conf file with NVIDIA drivers,
because the NVIDIA configuration file will try to create one for you.

You shouldn't need full kernel source, because... well, you don't.

And you should NOT have to rebuild with each new kernel, because
that's the point of the akmod.

Here are my own notes on the topic.

These are the best instructions I found for working with the akmods:
http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia#head-e1b34e02488009b6a78740380ab3108e2e6b8251

1. Add the rpmfusion repository so you can pull the akmod's and
proprietary drivers.

rpm -Uvh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

2. yum update

3. yum install akmod-nvidia-PAE for new NVIDIA drivers

4. Disable Noveau for the default initrd (boot space) -- this is the
critical step, because if you don't do it, Fedora tries to load open
source drivers to display its pretty, graphical boot (which I think is
a complete waste, but I won't start on that rant)

Two methods.

Method 1 blacklists the open source driver:
/etc/grub.conf
rdblacklist=nouveau

Method 2 is supposed to maintain the graphical boot for you, but this
didn't really work for me and I don't care what the boot looks like.
;)
su -
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

5. Change SElinux security permissions (as su)

setsebool -P allow_execstack on

I've installed a half dozen kernel updates with this system without
incident, minus - oddly - one of the RT kernels. In that case, it
built but I think it may be somehow still trying to load Noveau even
with the blacklist. It's only the case with the latest RT kernel, and
I'm investigating. (The other likely problem is that the akmod didn't
build, but I was able to verify that it had.)

Incidentally, PAE is now installed by default on Fedora. It's very
cool; it gives you access to greater than 4G RAM on x86 systems that
support it, on a 32-bit system.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Peter