[PlanetCCRMA] [PlanetCCRMANews] nvidia driver needs kernel-source

stuff stuff at johnadon.com
Mon Mar 8 05:56:23 PST 2010

I hope I'm not repeating anything that's already appeared in this
thread, but I was able to install the NVIDIA drivers pretty easily using
just the driver from the NVIDIA site and the kernel-rt-devel rpm from
CCRMA. You will need to create an xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 (it's not
there any more by default) to point toward the NVIDIA driver, rather
than the driver that comes with Fedora. I think when you run the
./NVIDIA-Linux-xxx-xxx-blahblah.run file as root, it will offer to
create an xorg.conf file for you at the end of the routine. I don't ever
do this because I've got a bunch of junk in my xorg.conf file already,
but I do recall that it creates an appropriate configuration file if you
let it do it's thing. Sometimes the driver install package will generate
an error or two, but the installation still creates the kernel module
successfully. Takes just minutes once you've got the hang of it. You'll
have to compile it again if a new kernel comes down through the CCRMA
pipeline though.