[PlanetCCRMA] laptop audio interface suggestions

David Nielson naptastic at comcast.net
Sun Jan 31 11:18:35 PST 2010

On 01/31/2010 08:09 AM, francis keyes wrote:
> I'm really surprised that not one high-end (portable) interface
> manufacturer has bothered to support Linux.  Someone could make a
> million dollars here!!
> Just to clarify, is anyone on this list using a laptop to record audio
> (preferably 4 channels) at 24 bits, 96 KHz?  Firewire, USB, CardBus or
> whatever...

I am extremely, extremely happy with my RME Digiface + Expresscard
interface. It literally works Out Of The Box with Linux. You just need
the alsa tools package for the HDSP mixer and configuration tool, and
you are set.

The bad news is that it's really expensive. Face it folks: recording
equipment costs money. Ardour is free (or cheap) but the hardware still
costs money.

David