[PlanetCCRMA] USB (& firewire) interface

Oded Ben-Tal oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Apr 28 12:41:25 PDT 2010

hi,

I don't see the part were you bind the two devices together. I think this
is achieved in my .asoundrc by this section:
pcm.quattro {
         type multi;

         slaves.a.pcm "hw:Quattro,0";
         slaves.a.channels 2;
         slaves.b.pcm "hw:Quattro,1";
         slaves.b.channels 2;

         bindings.0.slave a;
         bindings.0.channel 0;
         bindings.1.slave a;
         bindings.1.channel 1;
         bindings.2.slave b;
         bindings.2.channel 0;
         bindings.3.slave b;
         bindings.3.channel 1;
}

ctl.quattro {
         type hw;
         card Quattro;
}

Using this definition I'm able to get snd to use this device with
MUS_ALSA_DEVICE=quattro

but I couldn't get other applications to use the 4 channels.

Another potential source of problem was (is?) which soundcard is first
first in the system order (usb & builtin). At least in FC8 I found that
this whole arrangement only worked if the USB card was the first one. I
think this is no longer a problem but I'm not sure.

hope that helps
Pded

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~oded
oded at ccrma.stanford.edu