[PlanetCCRMA] USB (& firewire) interface

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Tue Apr 27 06:35:48 PDT 2010

Hi Oded,

Should have replied to the list...

On 27 April 2010 09:24, Oded Ben-Tal <oded at ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> I have been using the M-Audio quattro for a few years. I can get 4 channel
> playback but I could never get it to work with Jack (not even stereo),
> just with alsa.
I have the same interface. How did you manage to get anything useful with ALSA?
I've battled with the interface for two years and finally gave up and
my brother uses it happily on his Mac (4 in 4 out 16 bit).

With Jack I had quite a lot of problems with getting it to the right
bit rate. It can only do one or two channels with 24 bit and for some
reason most of the time the interface gets itself in that mode even
though Jack thinks it is 16 bit. This means that the bits Jack read
quickly get saturated and distortion ensures. I thought I had a ritual
to get it working but it only worked half the time. :( It involved a
change to the modules.conf to use index=1 (which should have forced it
to be 16 bit).
actually this one... to /etc/modules....
snd_usb_audio device_setup=0x01

The index=1  was to decide which card is which and to load the
snd-usb-audio before the onboard one. If my memory serves me well
(which hardly does!)