[PlanetCCRMA] [Fedora-music-list] new packages in Fedora updates-testing (2010-04-10)

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 17:30:15 PDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora at gmail.com>wrote:

> The issue is, it takes time to get packages reviewed since there are
> about 700 review requests pending. If we had 2 people on Fedora (1
> will package, 1 will review) then things would go faster. But as 1
> person, I am packaging stuff and waiting some external person to take
> time to review the package. a2jmidi, for instance, I submitted it for
> review months ago and nobody looked at it yet.

I'd be willing to do the "review" part, and could eventually apprentice on
writing appropriately compliant fedora RPM specs.

a2jmidi -- i was going to look into it back when i thought i'd be using
firewire... didn't bother now that midi. is under control.

(Are there any advantages to using a2jmidi and turning off the 'seq'  driver
in qjackctl/jackd when using the alsa back-end? Other than having the same
config for audio setups using either alsa or ffado/freebob ...)

But I can't force anyone to become a packager. It takes time to learn
> and get into it, especially if the person does not have some
> programming background. I am just announcing here, if there is anyone
> who can spare a couple hours every week and is willing to do packaging
> work, we would be very pleased.

I have programming background and would be interested in learning how
packaging is done. I have my own build of http://vamp-plugins.org , for
example, since I'm using them for my own website project/idea:
http://nielsmayer.com/trainspodder-prototype.jpg
http://nielsmayer.com/prototype-11-17-2009.jpg (which needs to be the focus
of my time so I can't get too distracted w/ too much time-commitment ).

> (Btw, what
> > should I do to get rid of the --nogpgcheck option
> > when i don't want to include the updates-testing repo, and prefer to do
> it
> > "manually" as below, yet would also like a GPG check of package
> integrity:
>
> When the updates get signed and put into updates-testing repo (takes a
> couple days after my announcements), you can temporarily enable the
> updates-testing repo for once to install specific packages, like
> $ yum --enablerepo updates-testing update muse
> $ yum --enablerepo updates-testing install ladspa-wasp-plugins
> etc. When this command finishes its work, your updates-testing repo
> will be disabled.

Thanks for suggesting the correct way to do it.

-- Niels.