[PlanetCCRMA] Jack problem / system hangs...

Tue Oct 27 09:47:29 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 10:28 +0100, Raphael Raccuia wrote:
> Hi,
> I use F10/CCRMA since one year, and I like it because of his good
> stability.
> But I had some major problems last weeks, after a break using my
> computer:
> -Jackd: I start well (FFADO / Edirol FA-101), and is very stable (was
> not the case on Ubuntu Studio). But now, I can't connect the patch. Some
> names are corrupted (char coding problem), like:
> Original/entrée 1
> and it's impossible to connect, with message:
>
> Unknown destination port in attempted (dis)connection src_name
> [system:AC6_dev0_LineIn 7+8 left] dst_name [ardour:Original/entrée 1]

What version do you have of qjackctl? ("rpm -q qjackctl" to find out).
There was an update being pushed by Fedora a couple of days ago.

> Kernel: The only problem I had with CCRMA was to get rt-kernel working
> on my machine. 2.6.27 didn't, but 2.6.29-? (ccrma testing repo) was ok
> but now:
> 2.6.29-6-rt: system hangs, until I press a key / move mouse
> 2.6.29-2-rt: sometimes hangs on boot, I have to press a key, then give
> me a kernel problem. but then seems to work...
> Is there any kernel known as stable?

Could you give us the complete names of the kernels? When you boot into
one "uname -r" should give you the kernel version. You say "2.6.29" was
ok, which version was it?

Both kernels should be "stable", but how stable depends a bit on your
particular hardware combination. The strange thing is that once you find
a kernel that works for you it should keep working fine. Did you change
any hardware in your machine? When did it start misbehaving? If you
remember when it happened an "rpm -q -a --last" should point you to
package changes that happened at that time...