[PlanetCCRMA] MIDI on PlanetCCRMA?

Roger Dannenberg rbd at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 12 10:41:59 PDT 2009

I upgraded an old PlanetCCRMA installation to FC10, but I can't figure
out how to get USB MIDI devices to work (I'm testing with an M-Audio
Midiman 2x2.) I found some old instructions, but "yum install hotplug
hotplug-gtk" says these packages don't exist, and I can't look in
/etc/modules.conf because it doesn't exist either. cat
/proc/asound/cards shows one sound card and no midi devices. On the
other hand, flash drives automount and open very nicely. Can someone
tell me how to set this up or point to some documentation? Should I be
using Fedora 9?

Also, a note on Planet CCRMA documentation: I followed low-latency
kernel instructions here
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installplanetnine.html
but the low-latency kernel crashed on my machine. I'm still looking into
this, but the BIG problem was that an install via Fedora 10 Live CD sets
the grub.conf "timeout" to 0, so if the kernel fails, you get to reboot
from the CD and figure out how to edit a file named
-boot/grub/grub.conf. (The "-" in "-boot" doesn't make it easy). The
instructions should say before "Testing the new kernel":

As root, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf: Change the line "timeout=0" to
"timeout=10" so that you will be able to select the kernel you want to boot.

Thanks,
Roger