[PlanetCCRMA] sound card recomendations?

Sean Beeson seanbeeson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 09:08:31 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Sean Beeson <seanbeeson at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got the impression from posts to various Audio Lists that USB
>> interfaces still suffer from latency problems, but if people have
>> successes with them, then I hope they mention it here.
>> Thanks,
>> Rocco
>>

> I just started using a USB M-Audio Fast Track Pro, but the verdict is still
> out on whether it has signs of latency because my install of fc-10 64-bit
> and Planet CCRMA repos are less than 24 hours old. There has been some
> weirdness, but is that my lack of knowing how to tune jack and everthing
> else just right? Also a few things like the tempo in Rosegarden would speed
> up for no reason and then go away. That seems to have nothing to do with the
> audio interface. So far it seems to be running well. I was running qjackctl,
> qsynth, zynaddsubfx, hydrogen and rosegarden as well as piping analog and
> midi inputs through jack to Rosgarden from an external Korg synth with no
> latency. I had one track for qsynth, zynaddsubfx, the midi track for the
> external Korg and a WhySynth plugin. I had three tracks for Hydrogen and two
> tracks for the analog input from the Korg.  There were maybe two xruns now
> and then about every hour, but no audible latency and really good audio. Is
> that good? What sort of test parameters would be good the use? My CPU usage
> was about 75%/80% during that. I wish I had seen your points before. After
> sometime I will hopefully be reporting after I know that if I do get bad
> results it's not my computer or me that is the cause.
>
> --Sean

I might add that all of the synths and Hydrogen were running two LADSPA
effects as well. Seeing it written down I would say now, I wish I had more
CPU than the AMD Athlon64 X2 5400+(AM2 2.8G 512KBx2 65W) with 4 GB of RAM
that I am using, if anything so far. There is audio coming and going through
the FTPro.

--Sean