[PlanetCCRMA] pcmcia or usb soundcard recommendations?

Ken Ellinwood kellinwood at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 13 15:52:31 PDT 2009

I'm happy with my Tascam US-122 interface.  Two channels for audio, 1/4 inch or XLR inputs with phantom power for mics, plus MIDI I/O.  This is a discontinued product, but you can find plenty of them used on Ebay for under $50.

Setup on Linux isn't too bad -- you have to install the alsa-firmware and alsa-tools packages, and then create UDev hotplug rules for the device (see here http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Tascam_US-122).

Also, Jack likes this device.  I always got xruns with my built-in sound cards, but not with this one.

Ken