[PlanetCCRMA] Shouldn't You Be Able to Run 32-bit Programs(SuperCollider, Pd and ChuCK) Under 64-Bit Fedora With Multilib

Mon Mar 9 10:04:47 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 15:36 +0900, Sean Beeson wrote:
> I am preparing to build a Fedora 10 system on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 and
> AMD 780G chipset system and noticed that Fernando mentions that if you
> want to run 32-bit programs you should run the 32-bit version of
> Fedora 9 or 10. I have a few 64-bit CentOS, Fedora 9 and Red Hat
> servers I work with and multilibs usually gets included in the install
> of these. I think CentOS actually promoted me if I wanted support for
> 32-bit programs, or was it Fedora 9? Anyway, I have compiled,
> installed with yum and run 32-bit programs without any problems under
> 64-bit plateforms. I usually haven't had to think about it because
> it's always just been there as far as I remember in the last few
> releases, so I am not very knowledgeable on the nuances of running
> 32-bits programs under a 64-bit Fedora. I know there used to be some
> problems, but was lucky enough to not have to deal with them then.
> Can't the programs that are mentioned in the install notes run with
> multilib support? Does the rt kernel cause problems with this?  I am
> hoping to me able to work with PD on this system.

It might be possible to compile the programs that need 32 bit systems
(older versions of pd currently in Planet CCRMA, chuck, supercollider)
to run on 64 bit systems, I had never had time to look at what is
involved. For now those packages are only built for 32 bit versions of
the os.