[PlanetCCRMA] different versions of pd at different locations at ccrma repo

Mon Mar 9 10:00:30 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 16:19 +0800, Lao Yu wrote:
> currently there should be 0.40.3 of pd-extended available. this page
>
> http://puredata.info/downloads
>
> says so and correctly points to the file.

Planet CCRMA and puredata.info are different.

> However this page
>
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installplanetnine.html
>
> cites as an example the pd-extended installer as "yum install pd-
> extended".

Both are packaged differently. You can't mix them.

> Doing so installs an older pd-extended version (0.39)

That is correct. The packages that are part of Planet CCRMA have not yet
been updated to newer versions (packaging pd involves a lot of work that
usually changes from release to release).

> and also
> doesn't install the startup info to load the externals. - When I
> proceeded to the first page (puredata.info) the location properly
> downloads version 0.40.3 and with yum it would install the externals
> etc etc. However it doesn't install an executable file of pd that I
> would find.

Well, that question should be asked to whoever is packaging the
puredata.info version.

> My question is, what is the point of these 2 versions?

Planet CCRMA and puredata.info are two separate entities. The pd in
Planet CCRMA is older and differently packaged from the puredata.info
version. No particular point in that, they are just different.

> Also I wasn't
> able (yet) to get the externals working (of 0.39). But I admit I have
> a whole lot of other problems with sound on Fedora 10 that I didn't
> search thoroughly.

What is it that is not working? What is the "startup" that the other
version of pd installs? There is no "one command" to load all externals,
each has its own name and sometimes different ways of being loaded
(usually with a "-lib xxx" where xxx is whatever is needed by that
particular library).