[PlanetCCRMA] for MIDI lovers: fluidsynth update

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 20:11:16 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> fluidsynth-1.0.9 is available in Fedora's updates-testing repository.
> This release comes with many improvements and fixes outlined in [1].
> The most important improvement seems to be the new native Jack MIDI
> driver. fluidsynth MIDI connections will now appear in qjackctl's or
> your favorite jack controller's MIDI tab.
>
> If you are interested to try out, please update with
> # yum --enablerepo updates-testing update fluidsynth-libs
>
> So far, I didn't encounter any problems with this new version with
> fluidsynth using applications. If no problems are reported I will push
> this update to stable repo in about 2 weeks.
>
> Cheers,
> Orcan
>

> [1] http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/wiki/ChangeLog1_0_9

It seems to me that the new fluidsynth is not that stable. I start
qjackctl which runs jackd (this is Fedora's jack 0.116.1-5) with
/usr/bin/jackd -R -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2 -Xseq
Then I start qsynth. As soon as I do this jack starts getting very
many xruns and in about 10 seconds qjackctl exits with a SIGKILL, also
killing jackd with itself along the way.

Now I start qjackctl once more and click on "Restart" on already
running qsynth. This time there are no xruns and jackd runs without
problems.

It's not desirable to use jack always with this workaround and I am
not pushing the package to stable until the issue is resolved.

Fernando, do you still develop jack? Do you know where the problem
might be? As soon as I downgrade to fluidsynth-1.0.8 these symptoms
disappear.

Orcan