[PlanetCCRMA] Notation editors?

Martin Tarenskeen m.tarenskeen at zonnet.nl
Thu Jan 8 23:16:38 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 11:59:11PM -0600, Thomas Nail wrote:
> Fernando, et al.,
>
> thanks so much again for making all this software "just work". I really
> appreciate the effort you guys continue to make on this project.
>
> Now, since NoteEdit seem to have wandered off and gotten lost - and is
> no longer being developed - are there any successors to the notation
> editor crown for Linux? I've looked at Canorus, which is supposed to be
> the new NoteEdit, but it still looks pretty beta. And, unfortunately, I
> can't write straight lilypond, because I'm lazy. Rosegarden seems
> overkill for this type of situation, but maybe that's all that's left.
> Anyone have suggestions?

Take a look at NtEd, by Joerg Anders who also wrote (most of) NoteEdit.
It can export Lilypond.

Another very interesting tool is Frescobaldi. This is not a WYSIWYG
score editor, but a dedicated KDE4 based Lilypond sourcecode editor with
integrated PDF viewer and MIDI input via a tool called rumor.

NtEd is available on the Fedora repos - just do "yum install nted".

Frescobaldi needs to be built from sources. And you need to
install the kdebase and kdegraphics packages from fedora also.

Take a look at http://www.frescobaldi.org

--

Martin Tarenskeen