[PlanetCCRMA] Success stories with CCRMA and Firewire Audio Interfaces

Linux Media linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Fri Feb 13 04:29:13 PST 2009

Thanks to all the info offered here, I was able to do some good
research. I would like to go with the Focusrite Saffire Pro 10. But I
would like to take this opportunity for anyone to mention anything about
it's abilities or lack of on a CCRMA system before I run out and get it.

This is what I'm thinking... I have an Indigo Echo I/O (2 channels 24bit
96000). It looks like the Saffire Pro 10 has outstanding preamps, so if
I'm unhappy with the firewire support at this time, I can use it as a
preamp for my Echo I/O until things mature a bit with the ffado project.
Focusrite interfaces seem very well supported and the Saffire Pro 10 is
marked as "Supported" in the ffado Device Support Database. My main
concern is that there's currently pretty high CPU loads when using ffado.

On the LAU list someone said they downloaded the ffado source and
rebuilt it with DEBUG=no and ENABLE_OPTIMIZATIONS=yes and that helped.
Fernando, I'm curious if those options were used in building ffado for
CCRMA? One of the ffado developers on LAU list said that up till now,
focus within FFADO was on functionality rather than CPU usage. But
they're working on it.

Ok, thanks for all the information. If anyone is using the Focusrite
Saffire Pro 10 on a CCRMA system, please let me hear your experiences
with it. And if I should buy it I will let the list know my experiences
with it.

Rocco