[PlanetCCRMA] kernel-rt woes

Tue Feb 10 13:30:21 PST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-10 at 20:47 +0100, Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have tried kernel-rt-2.6.26.8-1.rt15.1.fc10.ccrma.x86_64 on a couple
> Fedora 10 boxes and it shows a funny behavior: when I log in (with GDM
> into a GNOME session), my session loads and works fine except for
> metacity, which runs as user gdm (so it runs with a generic config
> which I can't change, no virtual desktops and so on). When I use
> kernel 2.6.27.5-117 from Fedora, metacity runs as myself, as it
> should.
>
> This bug appears on two different boxes, a Sempron 64-based desktop
> and a Core 2 duo Macbook pro, both running up-to-date Fedora 10.
>
> I have not had time to test or debug further, neither to try different
> setups (i686 maybe, I have a couple spare machines at work I could use
> for this). Is there a difference between the planet kernel and the one
> from Fedora which might explain this? Except the rt patch itself, I
> mean.

There's many differences as the kernel is much older than what Fedora 10
is using. Maybe an older version of the video drivers? I don't know how
that could explain the problem... Or maybe a configuration option is
different (at the kernel build level) because there is something missing
in the older kernels and it defaults to something different. Weird.