[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora vs CentOS

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Tue Feb 10 10:38:06 PST 2009

CentOS is more to my liking as I do not want my libraries and packages
updating ever few weeks/months. As I have run into this being a
problem with video/audio drivers in the past (before using CCRMA) I
didn't want it to bleed over into my music studio. I don't mind
sacrificing the latest version of package "X" for the stability of the
libraries and the OS.  I've been using RH/FC/F since RHL 4.x, and I
personally like the release model of RHEL/CentOS over Fedora. Again,
this is personal taste.

Here's more on the CentOS release cycle:
http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=34

It's really up to you. There is no "major" difference from what I've
seen in performance, reliability, only in release cycle. It's as Luis
stated, you really just need to look at your needs vs wants (eye-
candy, 'bleeding edge' software, etc).

And from the FWIW dept: I started using CCRMA on FC6 since CentOS
wasn't supported at the time and I didn't know much about the packages
and dependencies. That old box is *still* working, just not used as
much. I keep it around for the older files I still support.

My setup:
CentOS 5.2 (KDE desktop)
Latest CentOS 5.x CCRMA-RT kernel
NVidia NVS 285
2GB RAM
Delta 1010
Dual 250GB SATA 7,200rpm data drives
80GB boot drive

Ardour 2
Hydrogen (with drumkits)
QJackctl
JamIN
LADSPA and all plugins
Rosegarden4
timidity++
Audacity

This setup is working great for me. I've produced 2 CD's and am
working on a new one for myself personally, and am starting to play
with MIDI for jingles and such.

HTH,
Roy