[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 10 + CCRMA + FFADO RC1 = Happiness

Chris Nutt chris.nutt at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 3 03:23:48 PST 2009

Mike Mazarick wrote:
> Chris Nutt writes:
>
>> I used the following kit (for those who have been discussing what kit
>> works well on the ffado lists):
>>

> - Lenovo Thinkpad Z61p (this has a fast disk and TI chipset 1394
> (firewire) on board)
> - Focusrite Saffire Pro 26IO Firewire Audio Interface (I love the
> preamps on this unit - and the company are Linux friendly - magic)
> - Presonus Digimax FS
>

>> This set up was very quick to get up and running and gave me no problems
>> at all. Install Fed10 - add CCRMA - add FFADO (from CCRMA repos) Great
>>
> work!
>
> Great!!   Thanks for letting us know about this...
>
> It shows that I am really not keeping up as well as I should.
> The main thing I've picked up is that Firewire is often a problem with
> Linux.
>
> If you were getting a new Firewire port, would you go with 400 or 800 bps?

400 for me - I haven't seen many devices that require (or support) 800.
400 is plenty for the 16 mono channels I am likely to use. How many do
you need? I think the 400 spec will support quite a few more then 16.
> How did you get your firewire port to work?   Anything special or difficult?

FC10 is supplied with the new firewire driver so you need to add the old
one raw1394 to work with ffado (RC1).  Because I have the ccrma repo I
got it from there.

I think the next major release of ffado will work with the new drivers
but thats a little way off I think.
> One last question that bleeds over into another thread...
>
> I've been paying some attention to the difficulty with getting a working RT
> kernel with midi

Sorry - can't help here. I haven't been using midi on this setup yet.
Reports seem to be favourable and I will try it in the next few weeks
and report back, 2 small kids eat my time like nothing else.