[PlanetCCRMA] Last good midi kernel?

Mon Feb 2 19:58:36 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 16:12 -0700, Carl Bauer wrote:
> Hi Tracey,
>
> I have tried all versions between the last 2.6.24rt f9 kernel and
> 2.6.26.8-1.rt13.4.fc9.ccrma.i686.rt (Will try the new one not 5 min
> after getting home :)
>
> With each, I have tried as many ways of seeing a raw midi signal as I
> can think short of writing my own program (kmidimon, arecordmidi,
> etc.). This is probably the wrong path (at work right now), but doing:
> cat /dev/asound/Audigy2/MIDI#### shows received packets at zero
> always.
>
> My card is Audigy 2 ZS Pro (the one with the cd-drive bay I/O panel,
> which is how I interface midi). What confuses me most is how I can
> send midi signals to my keyboard flawlessly, just not the other way.
> (I highly doubt my keyboard is not sending midi signals, but that's
> another worst case scenario i'd rather not consider now).

Hmmm, at this point I would start thinking about posting your problem to
the alsa-devel list, it might be a known problem with your particular
hardware. What is your card kernel driver? You could also do
a /usr/sbin/modinfo snd-xxx where xxx is your card driver to see if
there are any "interesting" load time options. Some hardware can't be
completely auto-detected and needs you to tell the kernel what you have
exactly (just an idea).

Does the card have more than one midi i/o port?

Does it work on a regular non-rt kernel?

> Was midi working well in the f8 kernels?

I think so, but it all depends on the hardware you have.

-- Fernando