[PlanetCCRMA] Suggestion for sound card

Linux Media linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Thu Apr 16 12:40:00 PDT 2009

Andreas Bergsland wrote:
> Dear list,
> I have been a win user for many years, but I have now decided to give
> linux a go. Now, I am going to get a new external sound card for my
> laptop, and I want the new card to be easily included in my setup in linux.
> My criteria for the sound card are:
> - low latency
> - low noise
> - XLR/jack ins/outs, at least 2
> - decent mic preamps
> - price tag: not above $700
> I am running fedora 10 with the latest ccrma rtkernel and the whole
> software package. I have a relatively new Dell Latitude E6500.
>
> Any suggestions for sound cards that fit these criteria?
>
> I have borrowed the RME HammerfallDSP - RPM card which I will test,
> since I know RME are known for low latency and low noise. But this card
> only have one single xlr/jack input and phono-out (designed for DJ use),
> so it is not ideal.
>
> Best regards,
> Andreas Bergsland

Hi,

If you want to go with firewire, I have purchaced the Focusrite Saffire
Pro 10. It may be more in/outs that you need, but focusrite works
closely with ffado developers and as a result produced pretty solid
results for a few of their firewire interfaces. They fit all your
criteria, and are known to have great preamps.

Look at the device support page. I (think) there's a 2 channel focusrite
interface that may work for you. This will take you right to the
focusrite interfaces...
http://www.ffado.org/?q=devicesupport/list&page=1

Make sure it has a satisfactory rating (like "full support") listed next
to it, if you want to be safe.

Also, I get the impression that there's (not) a lot of firewire
interfaces that work well with ffado. But, Texas Instruments controllers
are said to work well (mine is a Texas Instruments firewire interface in
my laptop).

I wrote a HOWTO to get up and running with the Pro 10 and CCRMA/Fedora10
  that probably will be helpful no matter what firewire device you choose...
http://ccrma-mail.stanford.edu/pipermail/planetccrma/2009-March/015554.html

The only thing I forgot to mention in the HOWTO is what CCRMA Packages
to install...
bash> yum install jack-audio-connection-kit qjackctl ffado

I'm currently writing a manual on how to get the Pro 10 working with
ffado-mixer. You'd think I was building a rocket with the amount of time
it's taking me. But I'll link it here when it's done.

Hope this helps,
Rocco