[PlanetCCRMA] general fedora audio organization

francis keyes fkeymo at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 21:29:49 PST 2008

Hey All,

Can anyone point me to a good resource that will explain how audio works in
Fedora?
I suspect its more complex than one article would tackle but I just don't
get a bunch of things:

Why xmms only works with the oss plugin and not with alsa plugin?
Why oss is even part of Fedora anymore?
Why pulse audio show up in "ps aux" ( 2672  0.0  0.1 203416  5644 ?
S    01:13   0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --log-target=syslog)  but nothing ever
shows up in the pulse audio volume control?

I need a giant schematic that outlines how alsa, oss, pulse audio and jack
work/don't work together.  I mainly use my system for multitrack audio
production with Ardour/Jack but I also do some work with ecasound, kino, and
all kinds of other multimedia experiments.  I find that when things don't
work I am lost because I don't know how to troubleshoot properly.

Anyways... I'd appreciate any pointers to good reading to learn about this
sort of thing.

Thanks,