[PlanetCCRMA] How can I incorporate Dell M90 Intel HDA patch for LFE speaker into ccrma-rt ?

Ron Fox rfox-f8 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Jul 30 18:21:15 PDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm running the latest ccrmart kernal installed on top of F8 on my Dell
M90 Precision laptop.  I've gotten jack working nicely now after setting
qjackctl to run jackd with NumberOfPeriods=3 and Playback only.

Everything I've tried has worked well but the quality of sound from my
laptop speakers is sorely lacking.  The M90 has 2 2W front speakers
(which are working) and a 5W LFE speaker with a "Bass Reflex Port" which
does not work under Linux.  I know that the LFE speaker is installed and
capable of outputting good sound because I can play an audio CD with
WinXP Media Player's Equalizer set to 0 response at middle and high
frequencies.  The low frequency sounds on the CD track come through very
nicely from behind the LFE speaker grill (on the bottom of the laptop).

A similar test with the same audio CD on the same laptop running Amarok
under CCRMA-RT has no audible output from the LFE speaker.

There is a patch to alsa-driver that enables support for the LFE speaker
on the M90:
http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel/diff/957cd88b2d52/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c

Another patch is designed to look for a mono speaker output pin with a
separate amplifier and to enable a LFE switch and control for it on the
Dell M90 and some other Dell laptops:
http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel/diff/f4bc9cc7e577/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c

I don't think those patches are present in the CCRMA-RT distribution, at
least the LFE device doesn't show up in the output from the alsainfo
script.

My question is, how do I include those patches or enable them for use
under the CCRMA-RT kernel.

I don't have a alsa-driver package installed so I'm assuming that the
code lives elsewhere.

$ cat ~/.jackdrc
/usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p1024 -n3 -P

$ uname -a Linux kolea.hosag.com 2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc8.ccrmart #1 SMP
PREEMPT RT Mon May 12 17:53:55 EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

$ rpm -qa |grep -i alsa
alsa-tools-firmware-1.0.16-1.fc8
alsa-firmware-1.0.16-1.fc8.1
alsa-oss-1.0.14-3.fc8
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.16-3.fc8
alsa-plugins-upmix-1.0.15-3.fc8.1
bluez-utils-alsa-3.20-7.fc8
alsa-plugins-samplerate-1.0.15-3.fc8.1
alsa-oss-libs-1.0.14-3.fc8
alsa-lib-1.0.16-3.fc8
clalsadrv-1.2.2-1.fc8.ccrma
alsa-plugins-jack-1.0.15-3.fc8.1
alsa-oss-devel-1.0.14-3.fc8
alsa-plugins-oss-1.0.15-3.fc8.1
alsa-plugins-vdownmix-1.0.15-3.fc8.1
alsa-tools-1.0.16-1.fc8
alsamixergui-0.9.0-0.3.rc1.fc8.2
alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc8

Thanks to all who make this fantastic software available, it's sparked a
whole new interest for me!

Regards,
Ron