[PlanetCCRMA] Unable to get any sound through jackd

Fri Jul 11 06:55:45 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 03:42 -1000, Ron Fox wrote:
> Aloha,

Aloha!!

> I'm new to Linux Audio but am a longtime Fedora and Linux user.
>
> I'm not able to get any sound at all through jackd running on F8-ccrma
> on my Dell M90 laptop/workstation with built-in Intel Soundcard.
>
> ALSA is working as demonstrated by running (as user=rfox)
> $ speaker-test -c2 -twav
>
> Output from the alsa-info script is posted at http://pastebin.ca/1069099
>
> I've followed configuration directions from many different documents,
> most recently "Professional audio with Fedora" by Keith Sharp:
>
> http://www.passback.org.uk/music/fedora-music-intro/
>
> which was created on 19 Jan 2008.  I was hoping that the combination of
> jackd and ZynAddSubFx would give me a "simple as possible" environment
> to troubleshoot my problems but, even using this combination, I can't
> get a peep out of the ZynAddSubFx keyboard.

I usually use Hydrogen with one of the demo patterns for quick testing.

> Is there a set of steps that I can follow to setup jackd and hook a
> simple audio app to it?
>
> Hear is what I've tried most recently
> --------------- starting ZynAddSubFx from the command line ---------
> [rfox at kolea ~]$ zynaddsubfx

I would start jack first.

A possible sequence of operations:

- verify that jackd is not running, kill it if it is.

- start qjackctl

- if you are running on an hda-intel card (I think you are) you need to
change "Periods/Buffer" in the Setup/Settings dialog to "3" (not 2,
hda-intel hardware is not happy with that). Also check that "Interface"
is pointing to "hw:0". If you want lower latency you can lower
"Frames/Period" to, say, 128 (but after initial testing confirms things
are working).

- start jack (press the "Play" button).

- verify that it starts fine and is reasonably stable.

- start Hydrogen, select one of the demo songs

- go to qjackctl and connect the output of Hydrogen to the soundcard

- press play in Hydrogen

- you should hear the pattern...

= to check: verify mute state and volume of the soundcard...

-- Fernando