[PlanetCCRMA] Unable to get any sound through jackd

Ron Fox rfox-f8 at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jul 11 06:42:29 PDT 2008

Aloha,

I'm new to Linux Audio but am a longtime Fedora and Linux user.

I'm not able to get any sound at all through jackd running on F8-ccrma
on my Dell M90 laptop/workstation with built-in Intel Soundcard.

ALSA is working as demonstrated by running (as user=rfox)
$ speaker-test -c2 -twav

Output from the alsa-info script is posted at http://pastebin.ca/1069099

I've followed configuration directions from many different documents,
most recently "Professional audio with Fedora" by Keith Sharp:

http://www.passback.org.uk/music/fedora-music-intro/

which was created on 19 Jan 2008.  I was hoping that the combination of
jackd and ZynAddSubFx would give me a "simple as possible" environment
to troubleshoot my problems but, even using this combination, I can't
get a peep out of the ZynAddSubFx keyboard.

Is there a set of steps that I can follow to setup jackd and hook a
simple audio app to it?

Hear is what I've tried most recently
--------------- starting ZynAddSubFx from the command line ---------
[rfox at kolea ~]$ zynaddsubfx
lash_open_socket: could not connect to host 'localhost', service '14541'
lash_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
jackd 0.109.2
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

SSE2 detected
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|
32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2
periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
lash_open_socket: could not connect to host 'localhost', service '14541'
lash_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
SSE2 detected
Connected to JACK server with client name 'LASH_Server'
Opened ALSA sequencer with client ID 128
Listening for connections
Created project project-1 in
directory /home/rfox/audio-projects/project-1
Added client 9551ce86-4b1c-4916-823c-2a08634382e3 of class ZynAddSubFX
to project project-1

ZynAddSubFX - Copyright (c) 2002-2005 Nasca Octavian Paul
Compiled: Oct 10 2007 18:06:01
This program is free software (GNU GPL v.2) and
    it comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

Try 'zynaddsubfx --help' for command-line options.
Sound Buffer Size =     256 samples
Internal latency =      5.3 ms
ADsynth Oscil.Size =    512 samples
SSE2 detected
Internal SampleRate   = 48000
Jack Output SampleRate= 48000

--note that this starts jackd according to
$ ps auxwwf |grep jack
rfox 11018  0.5  0.3 30092 3888 ? Ssl 02:51 0:01 /usr/bin/jackd -T
-ndefault -T -d alsa

----- starting qjackctl from the command line to make connections
[rfox at kolea ~]$ qjackctl
Warning: no locale found: /usr/share/locale/qjackctl_en_US.qm

Before doing anything with the QJackctl GUI, the QJackctl message window
shows:
02:58:45.411 Patchbay deactivated.
02:58:45.500 Statistics reset.
02:58:45.560 Client activated.
02:58:45.566 XRUN callback (1).
SSE2 detected
02:58:45.763 JACK connection change.
02:58:45.765 ALSA connection change.
02:58:47.571 XRUN callback (29 skipped).
02:58:49.577 XRUN callback (29 skipped).
02:58:51.586 XRUN callback (30 skipped).
02:58:53.591 XRUN callback (28 skipped).
02:58:55.597 XRUN callback (28 skipped).
02:58:57.604 XRUN callback (30 skipped).
every 2 seconds

Clicking on the [connect] button in QJackCtl, there are three tabs,
Audio, MIDI and ALSA.  The Audio tab shows 2 readable clients named
"system" and "ZynAddSubFx" and one writable client named "system".

I connect readable "ZynAddSubFx out_1" to writable "system playback_1"
and readable "ZynAddSubFx out_2" to writable "system playback_2" and
close the Connections window, the Messages window records:

03:16:15.930 JACK connection change.

If I then press keys on the ZynAddSubFx keyboard, the key turns dark
blue while pressed but there's no output from the speakers and the audio
meter at the bottom of the ZynAddSubFx GUI shows no activity at all.

I'm well and truly stuck!

I'm scheduled to give a public presentation on using Linux as a Digital
Audio Workstation and had hoped to be able to demo this and a virtual
MIDI keyboard plus Soundgarden and other cool things in the CCRMA
collection on Tuesday night but if I can't get past this hurdle, I'll
have to switch to another topic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'll be happy to post output
from any commands or the contents of any files but this post is getting
long already.

Mahalo,
Ron