[PlanetCCRMA] Midiman Oxygen8 on Fedora 9

Tue Jul 8 01:51:54 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 10:10 +1000, Peter Howard wrote:
> The fact modules _were_ missing in my list, and the fact that "amidi -l"
> crashed, let alone "amidi --dump" confirmed to me that the keyboard
> _wasn't_ being initialised.  So then I did what I should have done at
> the start - cross check the Vendor/ProdID values given out
> of /proc/bus/usb/devices against what was
> in /etc/udev/rules.d/81-midisport.rules (as provided by the
> midisport-firmware RPM).  And, lo and behold, the Oxygen8 values weren't
> in there.
>
> 'DOH!
>
> pulling the values out of ye olde midisport_firmware 0.2 (I've confirmed
> they're also in the 1.2 you pull directly from sourceforge) and manually
> adding them to the rules file solved my problem.
>
> So from that I can answer my own questions (plus some more)
>       * The old hotplug-based midisport-firmare releases (0.x) don't
>         work at all with Fedora 9
>       * It appears that you no longer need to separately supply the
>         firmware blobs - they're there in the 1.X series of
>         midisport-firmware.
>       * The rules file included in the midisport-firmware RPM for F9
>         lacks most of the devices listed in the upstream package.

Good debugging!!

Would it be possible for you to file a bug in the redhat bugzilla
system? This is definitely something that should be corrected in the
Fedora package...

> > As a short-term (maybe long-term) fix I re-installed the old
> > 2.6.22.10-1.rt9.1.fc8rt kernel (with which external MIDI triggering has
> > worked flawlessly and still works).
>
> Once it's configured properly, the keyboard is working fine with the
> 2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc9.ccrmart kernel.

Good to know. I could not see how the kernel could be relevant, but you
never know...

> Don't know if it's relevant to you
> or not, but if you were failing on earlier kernels it's worth a try
> (note: as of right now all I've done is play the keyboard - no fiddling
> with wheels or controllers - just notes).
>
> Anyway thanks again for getting me thinking in the right direction.

Thanks for the report (and happy that you got it working...)!