[PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 7 issue

Fri Jan 25 09:55:01 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 09:23 -0800, Len wrote:
> Sorry if this is a little off-topic ...
>
> Has anyone had issues with networking in Fedora 7?  I'm on my fourth
>  install and second network interface and I'm still having problems.
> Everything works fine with the install, updates, RT kernel install,
>  and CCRMA updates.  My network interface is recognized and all seems
>  great.
> I'm dual-booting, and networking works flawlessly in XP.  However, in
>  Fedora I'm able to make one or two connections (sometimes more), but
>  eventually it starts dropping packets until finally 100% packet
>  loss/host unreachable.

Does this happen with the stock Fedora kernel as well?

What kind of errors do you see in the output of dmesg and
in /var/log/messages?

> Previously, I was running FC5 (happily) on an 800MHz Intel CPU with
> 512MB RAM, but I upgraded my MOBO/CPU/RAM so made the switch to Fedora 7.
>
> The Fedora 7 install is on an ASUS A8V-XE MOBO with VIA K8T890 chipset,
> Athlon 64 X2 (Socket 939) CPU, 2 GB RAM.  I'm running the 32-bit version of Fedora
> 7.
>
> At first I thought the onboard LAN (Realtek RTL8201CL) was the culprit,
>  so I popped in my old Kingston 10/100 PCI NIC card, then disabled the
>  onboard LAN in the BIOS and re-installed Fedora.  Still had the same
>  problem.
>
> Again, my apologies for being off-topic.  Any suggestions would be
>  appreciated, including a more appropriate place to ask the question.  Just
>  wondered if anyone else had experienced the same kind of problem,
>  since I think quite a few people are using the Athlon 64 CPU and VIA chipset
>  for audio work (which is why I decided to go with it - I remember Mark Knecht had
> good things to say about that configuration).  I'm wondering if one
> of the updates broke something?

>From your description it sounds to me like a kernel bug with the
particular hardware you have. It is strange that it happens with two
different hardware ethernet cards. Which would seem to point to other
common components. Strange.

-- Fernando