[PlanetCCRMA] Re: another small FC8 queery

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Jan 10 08:55:02 2008

On Thursday 10 January 2008 16:30, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> I want to pick your collective brains a little
> further: I have an oldish laptop with only 40GB HD at the moment, much of
> it already full. So I will need to economize on space. Does anyone have a
> rough idea of a minimal FC8 boot partition size?

Hi Oded. I wouldn't want to go any smaller that 8GB on the / partition. I put
F7 on a partition that had been previously used by an instance of FC3 as an
experiment to try some things out. The partition is only 5.9GB, and for some
time have had problems with updates redlining the partition. I've had to
progressively remove packages from the F7 install so as to get disc space
back.

> I am hoping to use the same /home directory as the existing fc5 (it
> will probably need to be called /mnt/something/or/other) for real work
> though, even if I need a mostly empty /home/oded directory for linux to be
> happy.

I've never shared the /home partition. I don't know, but you may some problems
especially as it is a directory within your FC5's / partition.

Also, as I mentioned on my earlier post FC5 identifies the partitions as hda1,
hda2, etc, whereas F7, and F8 identify them as sda1, sda2, etc.

If you had a separate /, and /home partition for FC5, I believe you could use
a label for the /home partition, rather than it being identified as hdxx,
sdxx, and in that way both FC5, and F8 could use the /home. Perhaps someone
else could comment on the possibilities of doing what you want to do, as I'm
not familiar with this.

All the best.

Nigel.