[PlanetCCRMA] drop outs with FC8 and latest CCRMA kernel

Hector Centeno hcengar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 07:13:00 2008

Hi again,

On Jan 3, 2008 9:04 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2008, bH wrote:
> >  Lamar Owen wrote:
>
> The point is, once built for Ubuntu 7.10, it has to be rebuilt for 8.04, then
> 8.10 (or whatever), and so on; you don't gain anything going to Ubuntu, as it
> is just as fast moving as Fedora is in terms of support; the repo would still
> have to be rebuilt every six months, as packages for 7.04 may or may not work
> for 7.10 (and packages for 6.06 will definitely not work for 7.10 or the
> upcoming 8.04).

I think I disagree about this. You would gain a lot going to Ubuntu
instead of Fedora. It is true that Ubuntu gets upgraded every 6 months
(as Fedora does) but in Ubuntu you have the hard work of many people
trying to make Linux usable and friendly and at the same time to keep
it up to date, while in Fedora you get a bunch of experimental and
broken things thrown to the users for beta testing. For instance,
something like having and ATI graphics card working, with full 3D
rendering, under Fedora 8 is almost impossible, while in Ubuntu works
out of the box, or if you want to install the Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu
you just get them from the repository or better yet, just click on the
proprietary drivers icon that pops up at the panel bar when it detects
your Nvidia hardware. I know I could just download the sources and
compile myself... but well, it saves time to have things planed ahead
by someone who cares about usability.

Regarding the upgrading issue, I do mind having the latest version of
Gnome, for example, as it usually means less bugs and better
usability. As I said before, I think Linux-Audio and
Linux-as-a-desktop is quite young and in development, you can't really
get stuck with a buggy and underdeveloped application for too long as
you might be missing a stabler and more usable system.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers!

Hector