[PlanetCCRMA] Re: freebob broken today

Tue Feb 19 10:24:01 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 10:18 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 11:56 -0500, Hector Centeno wrote:
> > OK, it seems that the problem is the new Jack from the CCRMA testing
> > repository. I installed it last night and tested it without rebooting
> > and worked fine but today after rebooting it didn't work with freebob
> > (alsa is ok). I reinstalled the stable version, tested right away and
> > didn't work, rebooted and retested then it worked! Does this make
> > sense?
>
> Not really. Very strange as I would imagine that a reboot would not
> help, unless this has something to do with kernel modules. But how? I'll
> see if I can take a look at this in more detail.

One test that could be done is:
- install new jack version, reboot, remember which kernel modules are
there after trying to use it and failing:

  /sbin/lsmod|sort > modules-newjack.txt

- downgrade to old version, reboot, remember which ekrnel modules are
there after trying to use it successfully:

  /sbin/lsmod|sort > modules-oldjack.txt

- are there differences?

  diff -uNr modules-newjack.txt modules-oldjack.txt

-- Fernando