[PlanetCCRMA] Audiophile 2496 input, Nvidia nforce4 output, and xruns?

Wade Nelson hollywoodb+ccrma at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 7 17:57:01 2008

I'm using an m-audio audiophile 2496 for input from a mixer (using the
RCAs on the back) and the onboard nforce4 audio on my box for output to
my 5.1 speaker system.  I'm getting a lot of xruns, especially with a
couple apps running like ardour and hydrogen, but I can get xruns with
nothing but the jack server running as well.

I'm using qjackctl to set up the server, I've set the audiophile for
input, the nvidia for output... rate at 96khz, and the samples per
period (or whatever that setting is) down low enough that I get about
5.3 msec latency.  However even at a very conservative setting where I
get 21.7 msec latency I'm still getting xruns.

Is the problem using two separate cards for input/output, or is there
something I need to do to get the xruns down?  When I was just using the
nvidia for input & output I was able to run at about 5.3 msec latency
48khz and never saw a single xrun.  Seems awfully strange that I can't
seem to find any settings using the audiophile that don't result in a
bunch of xruns.

Any pointers?

Wade Nelson
hollywoodb@fastmail.fm
"I may have to share this planet with animals,
but I'm doing my damn best to eat every last one of them."