[PlanetCCRMA] upgraded to FC6

David Forsyth steampipe at iwr.ru.ac.za
Thu Feb 7 10:13:01 2008

Hey all

Well, I sat and watched the DVD go round for ages as it upgraded my FC5
to FC6.   most stuff appears to be working ok though I havn't tried
Ardour since it is still the FC5 version and I havn't got an RT kernel
so I don't think it will work anyway.

Any how, by doing an 'rpm -qa --last' I now have a longish list of
packages NOT yet upgraded.  Not having broadband I cannot do that from
here.  However I'd like to be sure that a
    yum update
will do the business, or is there something I must do first.  Maybe
follow the 'fc6 planet install' recipe on the planet webpage to make the
correct repos are installed?

what I have noticed is that XMMS stops playing music if there is the
slightest contention for disk access.  and contrary to predictions my
harddrives do not now display as /dev/sda... but still as /dev/hda...
and I have not seen any speed increase (both my hhd's are SATA2 and so
is the DVD-RW)

kernel is  '2.6.18-1.2798.fc6 #1 SMP'

oh one other thing, can I uninstall things I don't want that appear to
have been installed by default, like
GAIM,planner,seamonkey,procmail,popler and possibly others?  I'm
planning to install Courier-mta and fetchmail so won't need those other
things.
(oh wunderful, prelink just started and now XMMS will not play for more
than a second)

so please, any advice before I try to finish the upgrade tomorrow at work?

--
David                       http://iwr.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/
If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know",