[PlanetCCRMA] Planet CCRMA on Centos 5

Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale Arnaud.Gomes at ircam.fr
Mon Aug 25 13:36:15 PDT 2008

Keith Sharp <kms at passback.co.uk> writes:

> Immediately on typing "sudo service haldaemon start" I get a hard
> lockup.  No response in my terminal or my SSH connections, and the GUI
> is completely locked.  All I can do is move my mouse around the screen -
> nothing is clickable and my system-monitor applet has stopped updating.

So the machine itself is not completely locked. What could help:

- service rtirq status
- unplug everything not strictly needed, including all USB devices,
  and "service haldaemon start", then "service rtirq status" if your
  terminal is still responsive

What I suspect is that when haldaemon is started, one device in your
computer gets set up with a RT priority high enough to preempt
everything else. It might be hard to determine which device or driver
is at fault without being able to compare the output of rtirq before
and after starting haldaemon though. Just a wild guess, but it might
be worth investigating.

It occurs to me it might also be worth trying the 4 different versions
of the kernel-rt package which are in the planetcore repo
(http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/planetccrma/mirror/centos/linux/planetcore/5/);
I know each of these has its own issues but I don't have a
comprehensive list of known bugs.

--
Arnaud