[PlanetCCRMA] Planet CCRMA on Centos 5

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 12:36:19 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 19:07 +0200, Arnaud Gomes-do-Vale wrote:
> > 1) I'm running Centos 5.2, fully up-to-date, on a Dell 4700.  During
> > start up with the CCRMA RT kernel the haldaemon locks and I have to
> > power off the machine.  The workaround was "chkconfig haldaemon
> off",
> > which is not ideal but so far I've not run into any issues as a
> result
> > of this.
>
> First, I must say the RT kernel is basically untested as I don't use
> it myself on production machines. All I can tell is that it boots on
> my test box.
>
> Do you have any error messages in the system log? What happens when
> you "service haldaemon start" after the machine has finished booting?

Hangs in exactly the same way - I need to try doing this again with some
remote logins to the box so I can capture logs etc.

> I am unfamiliar with kernel packaging in the planet but I think the
> packages in the planet repo are based on Red Hat's MRG project
> (http://www.redhat.com/mrg/); at least I know Fernando has built some
> kernel versions with the MRG kernel as a base. It might be worth
> investigating:
> - if Red Hat have released a newer version
> - if CentOS/SciLinux/whoever are intending to rebuild MRG

That looks very interesting - if RH and Centos can get a "supported"
realtime kernel in widespread use it could make RHEL and Centos the
platform of choice for audio work!

> I will have a closer look when I get back to work, but don't expect
> anything before the middle of next week.

No rush, as I say it's all working fine without haldaemon.  Anyway, I
need to shutdown my apps and then try to start haldaemon by hand while
capturing some logs.

Thanks for all your hard work in getting CCRMA built for RHEL and
Centos!

Keith.