[PlanetCCRMA] pd and supercollider not available for x86_64?

Wed Oct 24 11:46:02 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 12:41 -0500, Loren Jan Wilson wrote:
> On 10/24/07, ilya .d <errordeveloper@gmail.com> wrote:
> > there is an issue with SC .. it has not been complitely ported yet
>
> Supercollider hasn't been ported to x86_64? or is it a
> planetCCRMA-specific porting that needs to be done? I think I've seen
> 64-bit debian packages for supercollider.

Supercollider has not been completely ported to x86_64. Supercollider
consists of two parts, sclang and scsynth. AFAIK sclang (the language
bytecode interpreter) has to run in a 32 bit populated chroot
environment. Scsynth (the synthesis server) can be compiled and runs
fine in 64 bits (AFAIK). So it would be complicated to try to package
it.

I presume that what you saw in 64 bit Debian is just scsynth...
See this:
http://www.yeeking.net/index.php?location=Quick%2064%20bit%20Debian%
20Supercollider%20install%20howto

Or this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/supercollider/+bug/88054
(scroll down to the next to last comment)

So, no clean solution is available for Supercollider on 64 bit os
installs.

> In the yum faq it says, "If you do "yum install foo" then you will get
> both foo.i386.rpm and foo.x86_64.rpm installed on your system." The
> 32-bit SC package should just work, right? (assuming I could get it
> installed.)

>From what I know I don't think that will work. You would have to create
and populate a chroot with a 32 bit environment... But I have not
tried...

> So, is there a way to trick yum into installing and using
> the 32 bit version of SC from planetCCRMA? Some kind of config file
> poking or something?

I imagine you could point (temporarily!) to the 32 bit repository... But
I would not do that :-(

> I'm really into using yum whenever I can because it deals with
> dependencies.... one of my huge rpm pet peeves.

Yup, shared by all other packaging formats that do not include
dependency resolution natively (ie: debian's native packages, for
example).

-- Fernando