[PlanetCCRMA] How to update the alsa driver step by step

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Oct 11 14:13:02 2007

On Thursday 11 October 2007 22:18, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 20:50 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I want to practice upgrading the alsa driver for my fedora
> > 2.6.22.9-91.fc7-i686 kernel. Currently the driver version is 1.0.14, and
> > I want to upgrade it to the 1.0.15rc3 version.
> >
> > The kernel running on Fedora 7 at the moment is 2.6.22.9-91.fc7-i686, and
> > the kernel headers are installed for it. I also installed the
> > kernel-devel package for this kernel, and the 1.0.15rc3 alsa driver is
> > unpacked, ready, and waiting in my /home/user directory.
> >
> > What do I do next ?
> >
> > Appreciate any help, as I really need to learn how to do this stuff.
>
> There's two approaches. One would be to build a compatible kernel module
> package that overrides the kernel modules of the stock kernel (that's
> what I'm doing with kmod-alsa-rt for the Planet CCRMA kernel). The
> second would be installing from source on top of the existing kernel
> modules.
>
> -- Fernando

Ok. I've downloaded the source for alsa driver 1.0.15rc3, and want to replace
the current 1.0.14 with this later version.

On the alsa-user list it appeared to be a simple ./configure, make, su to
root, and make install to achieve this, but surely I need to be cd'd into
some directory so that the new driver is installed correctly.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit clueless, but I havn't upgraded kernel modules
before.

I know you're very busy, but any step by step instructions to upgrade the alsa
driver would be appreciated.

If you havn't the time, that's fair enough.

Nigel.