[PlanetCCRMA] How to update the alsa driver step by step

Thu Oct 11 13:19:01 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 20:50 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I want to practice upgrading the alsa driver for my fedora
> 2.6.22.9-91.fc7-i686 kernel. Currently the driver version is 1.0.14, and I
> want to upgrade it to the 1.0.15rc3 version.
>
> The kernel running on Fedora 7 at the moment is 2.6.22.9-91.fc7-i686, and the
> kernel headers are installed for it. I also installed the kernel-devel
> package for this kernel, and the 1.0.15rc3 alsa driver is unpacked, ready,
> and waiting in my /home/user directory.
>
> What do I do next ?
>
> Appreciate any help, as I really need to learn how to do this stuff.

There's two approaches. One would be to build a compatible kernel module
package that overrides the kernel modules of the stock kernel (that's
what I'm doing with kmod-alsa-rt for the Planet CCRMA kernel). The
second would be installing from source on top of the existing kernel
modules.

-- Fernando