[PlanetCCRMA] openmotif rpm for f7

Fri Jun 15 11:44:01 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 11:09 -0400, Leonid Flaks wrote:
> I installed openmotif-2.3.0-0.3.fc7.ccrma on fedora 7 recently. The
> library files are installed under /opt/openmotif directory tree.
> Postinstall script  runs ldconfig, but it would not go into openmotif
> directory. As a result applications don't see openmotif libraries. To
> fix that I made a file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/openmotif.conf with one line in
> it: /opt/openmotif/usr/lib, which solves the problem.
>
> Could this (or similar) fix be applied to the rpm?

I don't know, the problem is that for legal reasons openmotif was
dropped from Fedora and lesstif conflicts with it. I don't think you can
install lesstif and motif at the same time, and most probably installing
a package that includes a library search order by default will conflict
and/or break existing lesstif apps (I have not tested that) - either now
or in the future if the library so names match.

(BTW, just now I'm in the process of releasing a version for fc6 that
does the same).

In the only app in Planet CCRMA that uses openmotif (snd) I'm using this
during the build process:

export LDFLAGS='-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/opt/openmotif%{_prefix}/%{_lib}

so that the proper libraries are found at run time (snd is the only
reason I'm packaging openmotif, I wouldn't otherwise).

The proper thing to do would be to try to make both lesstif and
openmotif coexist appropriately - alas, time is short and at some point
I have to say enough and go with a hack... sorry :-(

-- Fernando