[PlanetCCRMANews] A bit OT: trying to install fc7 from hard drive - was [PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 7: Planet CCRMA for i386!

Lloyd Kvam python@venix.com
Wed Jun 13 14:51:01 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 08:39 -0700, Cyrill wrote:
> Hi there
> It may be a bit off topic, sorry...
>
> Im trying to install fc7 on my pc i386, which has already an Ubuntu on it. I've downloaded the
> .iso for fc7 and burnt the rescuecd.iso on a cd-rw, then i boot from it and choose "install from
> hard drive", then i select the location of the file (here, /home/myself/Fedora-blahblah.iso), but
> at this point i get an error message "Installation exited abnormally"?

The .iso must be mounted as a file system.  The mount command typically
would look like:
        mount -o loop /home/myself/Fedora-DVD.iso /var/www/html/f7/

-o loop means we are not mounting a real device but looping back to a
file and treating it like a mountable device

I am not sure that you would have the chance to mount the ISO through
the rescue CD.  I assume you lack a DVD burner or a DVD reader on the
target system.  I've handled that situation in the past by mounting the
DVD iso where it can be accessed from a web server (see the above mount
command) and used the install from network option.