[PlanetCCRMA] Rebuilding kernel on FC6/CCRMA

Michael Curtis michael@moltenmercury.org
Sun Jun 10 16:53:01 2007

On Sun, 27 May 2007 08:51:07 Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> The source packages live here:
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/all/linux/SRPMS/
>
> You should be able to rebuild the .src.rpm with (I think)
>   rpmbuild -ba --target=i586 spec_file_name
>
> Sorry, I should start building i586 kernels again...

Thanks for that, Fernando.

Sorry for the late reply, but I did manage to rebuild the kernel for i586 and
it's working nicely.  I had to modify the kernel config for i586 (changed
i686 to i586 in the CPU selection) but otherwise it built fine.

I have had a problem with Jackd on this system however.  Typing
	jackd -d <anydriver>
results in Illegal Instruction.  Running jackd in the debugger shows that it's
the result of a cmov instruction (not supported by the C3 and "optional"
according to the Intel manuals).  I rebuilt the package about 10 times before
I worked out the right combination of flags. Currently, I managed to get it
to work with these configure flags:
   --enable-dynsimd=no --enable-sse=no --enable-optimization-by-cpu --enable-optimize=no
and removing these compiler flags:
    -msse -msse2 -m3dnow

I suspect that I can construct a more minmal case (suspect support for sse and
sse2 that need to be disabled), will experiment further later.  In the mean
time, hopefully this helps someone else with a C3.

Michael