A bit OT: trying to install fc7 from hard drive - was [PlanetCCRMA] Fedora 7: Planet CCRMA for i386!

Christophe T christoph.t@gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 15:18:01 2007

2007/6/10, Cyrill <cduneauyahoo.com>:
> Hi,
> I haven't tried the same things. What i've done was to burn on a cd-r the
> rescuecd image, then boot from it, and choose installation from hard drive,
> where i specified the location of the .iso file of the fedora image i had
> downloaded.

That's strange indeed because eventually it's the same as I did (the
only difference is the boot method, the install process is equivalent)

>but each time i tried this i got the same error message, so i
> gave up and installed from dvd...

Sure! I'd have done the same.

> but i am very curious to know why it didn't work. i thought it was because
> it was on a logical partition (ie, part of the extended partition containing
> my system files), but you're telling me that i'm wrong... is the logical
> partition you installed from part of the same extended partition that
> contains your os?
>
> cyrill

No it isn't, although I don't think that's important (they didn't say
anythink about that on the site where I found the hard disk install
method [fedora-fr.org]). Here is my part tab:

/dev/sda1 /boot (for both distros)
/dev/sda2   / of fedora 7 x86-64 (that I've installed from hard disk)
/dev/sda3   /  of fedora 7 i386 (previously installed from dvd)
/dev/sda4  extended part
/dev/sda5  /home of both distros
/dev/sda6 data partition that contained the iso file
/dev/sda7 swap

 I've already made an install of fedora 7 from hard disk with a
similar configuration, the only difference was that the iso file was
in the /home/user_of_fc6/Desktop/fedora7-1386 folder.

That's quite strange. Maybe some tests using qemu or virtualbox would
give more infos... I may try some day and tell you!

Best regards
--
Christophe T