[PlanetCCRMA] Bizarre GRUB behaviour with Fedora 7

Pablo Silva hpsilva@servidor.unam.mx
Sun Jul 15 10:39:01 2007

Hi

I'm trying to get a triple-boot situation (MacOS, XP, Fedora 7)
happenning on a MacBook Pro (December 2006 version). As has been
noted on the appropriate sites, the most difficult part of the
process is getting the partition scheme right, yet what I'm running
up against since I upgraded to Fedora 7 is the fact that not only
will the Anaconda installer alter my carefully set up MBR, changing
the partition filesystem identifiers and bootable flags, _EVEN when
specifically told to leave the disk alone_, but it will ALSO continue
changing these every time I start up Fedora, rendering the XP
partition useless until I do some manual MBR editing.

This is, to put it mildly, unnerving. Has anyone here an idea of what
is to be done? Changing some GRUB options? Or at least where I could
ask for help? Any way to complain about this to the Anaconda team? I
think the installer should certainly be capable of not touching disk
formatting and partitions if told to from the "expert" menus... Not
that the Fedora installer is the only one to do this, I had trouble
with Ubuntu and Studio64 to!

I'm using rEFIt as a bootloader to point the machine to the
appropriate partition on startup. I wondered whether it was rEFIt's
fault, yet I didn't have this issue with Fedora Core 6 (which also
altered MBRs when told to leave the disk alone)

Any help/pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Pablo