[PlanetCCRMA] FC6, Planet CCRMA, nVidia, Compiz . . . [blink!] seems to work!

Link Swanson linkswanson@gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 10:50:22 2007

Jan Depner wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 17:24 -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/07, linkx <link@sumerianbabyl.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>>> After installing the nVidia modules from linva according to this guide, I
>>>
>> Of course, with this closed-source kernel video driver installed if
>> you encounter any problems requiring kernel developer intervention
>> (like latency burps), you'll be told to f'off unless you can reproduce
>> the issue without a tainted kernel.
>>

>     I haven't had a problem with the NVIDIA drivers in the last 8 years
> or so that NVIDIA hasn't fixed.  If you want to run seriously fast 3D
> accelerated graphics you have very little choice in the matter as the nv
> driver (and every other open source graphics driver) is waaaaaayyyyyyyy
> too slow.  We've got about 100 systems running with the NVIDIA drivers
> where I work and I have four at my house running them with no problems.
> Luckily my religion doesn't prohibit me from using closed source kernel
> drivers ;-)
>
>     I'd much prefer an open source driver but there aren't any capable
> of running at the speeds I need to do my job.  When they get there I'll
> be the first to switch.

Yeah I can't get myself to forfeit certain capabilities of my computer
simply because I believe in this or that philosophy.

Have you ran FC6 with Ardour running in Compiz? I'm having great luck,
but my suspicions suggest to me that this config is a time-bomb.

~Link