[PlanetCCRMA] FC6, Planet CCRMA, nVidia, Compiz . . . [blink!] seems to work!

Jan Depner eviltwin69@cableone.net
Thu Jan 11 16:52:00 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 17:24 -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 1/11/07, linkx <link@sumerianbabyl.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > After installing the nVidia modules from linva according to this guide, I
>
> Of course, with this closed-source kernel video driver installed if
> you encounter any problems requiring kernel developer intervention
> (like latency burps), you'll be told to f'off unless you can reproduce
> the issue without a tainted kernel.

    I haven't had a problem with the NVIDIA drivers in the last 8 years
or so that NVIDIA hasn't fixed.  If you want to run seriously fast 3D
accelerated graphics you have very little choice in the matter as the nv
driver (and every other open source graphics driver) is waaaaaayyyyyyyy
too slow.  We've got about 100 systems running with the NVIDIA drivers
where I work and I have four at my house running them with no problems.
Luckily my religion doesn't prohibit me from using closed source kernel
drivers ;-)

    I'd much prefer an open source driver but there aren't any capable
of running at the speeds I need to do my job.  When they get there I'll
be the first to switch.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride'"