[PlanetCCRMA] New laptop and FC6+CCRMA: Jack stops all by itself?

Hakan Koseoglu hakan.koseoglu@gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 04:58:01 2007

Hi all,

I hope you can help.
My new laptop arrived on Friday and promptly removed the useless OS on
it and installed FC6 and Planet CCRMA - my previous CCRMA experience
was with FC5 so I hope I wasn't being too hasty. The laptop is an Dell
Inspiron 9400 and I installed the 32 bit FC6.

When I start Jack with Qjackctl, it starts and almost immediately
shuts down. If I use amsynth or hydrogen w/o Jack, I get a lot of
clicks.

I am running the stock kernel - I don't know from where I would get
the real-time kernel (I know there isn't one available from Planet
CCRMA right at the moment) - I am a SuSE/Debian sysadmin/developer on
my daytime job, we hardly use any RedHat products therefore most of my
RedHat knowledge is from Redhat 9 days - far too out of date probably,
I wouldn't know where the experimental (rawhide?) SRPMs reside these
days. :-)

Anyway, here's the Jack's output (I tried with 44100 and 48000 Herts
without any difference - I wouldn't know what else to tinker with:
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
12:50:25.235 Server configuration saved to "/home/hakank/.jackdrc".
12:50:25.236 Statistics reset.
12:50:25.244 Client activated.
12:50:25.245 Audio connection change.
12:50:25.252 Audio connection graph change.
12:50:25.291 XRUN callback (1).
12:50:27.256 XRUN callback (39 skipped).
jackd watchdog: timeout - killing jackd
12:50:28.138 Shutdown notification.
12:50:28.140 Client deactivated.
12:50:28.142 JACK was stopped successfully.
zombified - calling shutdown handler
cannot send request type 7 to server
cannot read result for request type 7 from server (Broken pipe)

--
Hakan (m1fcj)