[PlanetCCRMA] New install - FC5/SMP - Ardour fails w/"illegal instruction"

Anthony Green green@redhat.com
Sun Jan 7 23:18:02 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 21:28 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> Do you think there may be some perceivable slowdown? (most probably
> not).

Actually, this build will be faster - because previous builds were built
with no optimization by mistake :-)

>  Otherwise maybe an i686 package might be worth considering. Very
> few people will be running non-sse capable machines these days.

There are a number of key routines written in assembly that use SSE
instructions and will still be used when run on SSE-capable hardware
(mixing routines, for instance).   I doubt there will be any real
difference in performance.

AG